Monday, December 2, 2013

Frank Turner @ The Electric Factory

     As I've written in the past, Frank Turner is arguably my favorite contemporary musician. In September, I was informed that he'd be playing a small show in Philadelphia on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I jumped on the chance to by tickets, as I had $90 store credit on StubHub. The cost of two tickets for the show ended up being a mere $5, and I began counting the days to seeing Frank perform live.
     Leah and I saw Frank perform at The Stone Pony this past May, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I had high expectations for his performance at The Electric Factory, which turned out to be an extremely nice building/bar immediately over the Ben Franklin Bridge.
     I learned from Frank's past show that unless you want to participate in hard-core mosh pits, stay away from the front of the venue. We stayed close to the back of general admission, and had a good five foot bubble between us and everyone else. I could see Frank perfectly, and his performance was outstanding. Due to a back injury, he couldn't play guitar, so instead he danced around stage belting out his original lyrics. Leah and I danced and jumped to the beat of each song; I knew every word, and I screamed each one.
     After the show, we wasted no time in getting back into NJ. However, the glistening lights of a 24-hour diner called to us. We parked the car and ran inside, trying to escape the cold 1 a.m. winds. Burgers, chicken fingers and milkshakes were exactly what the doctor ordered for a post-concert meal.
     I drove home on the Turnpike, reminiscing with Leah about how amazing the show had been. We were the only car on the road. It was one of the best nights I've had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment