Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Zippin'

     I always thought that zip lining was something that only the most adventurous of people would attempt. After all, doesn't zip lining take place hundreds of feet above the ground in the middle of Amazonian rain forests? I thought so; but I was oh so wrong.
     Apparently, the most average of Joe's can zip line. Even myself, an eighteen year old university student. All it takes is a set of arms and legs, not to mention a bit of courage and impulse decision making.
     Waking up at 7:00 a.m. this past Monday morning was a treat for me, as I usually have to wake up an hour earlier for an 8 am class.  I managed to shower, get dressed, and get my daily Einstein's coffee, all before 8:15. I paced back and forth for fifteen minutes before heading to the red minivans which slept in the parking lot of my Res Hall. It was the first morning of the year that actually made me shiver.
     After watching my English professor nearly run over her own students due to an incident with her emergency break, I called shotgun on a van that was to be driven by a goateed man I had never seen nor spoken to: Brian. The silence of the van was only broken by our front seat conversations about his work with refugees, and my being an English major.
     The awkward morning van ride finally ended in the parking lot of Discovery Adventure Park. I leaped out of the vehicle and made my way to the briefing station, where I was handed a pair of gloves and a set of straps and lines. After a quick info session on how not to die on the zip line course, I was off.
     I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky when it comes to outdoorsy stuff. I've been known to jump of bridges into rivers, go a little overboard with campfires, and paddle out during large swells. Zip lining was something I had never been exposed to, and the challenge of strength mixed with the possibility of falling from great heights gave me a rush. I couldn't wait to make my way up to the " Double Black Diamond" trail.
     However, by the time I was halfway through the "Blue" trail, I felt my arms growing tired. I hadn't realized how much energy I was actually putting into my zip line experience, and come the end of the trail, I found myself sitting on a bench instead of venturing into the Double Black Diamond.
     It's funny how exercise comes easily when one's mind is occupied. I had so much fun attempting to get past each element, that I didn't even realize I was basically doing pushups every other step. Needless to say, I felt no need to go to the gym that day.
     The ride back to campus was nearly as quiet as the latter. There wasn't much that needed to be said other than the occasional "wow, my arms hurt," or, "that was fun!" Once back, I wasted no time in rushing to my dorm. I as in need of some hard earned rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment