Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sean Michael Tobin

     I am the definition of an Irish American. My mother's grandparents immigrated from Northern Ireland in the early 1920's. My great-grandfather, Patrick Farrell, was a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB), and fled west to escape escalating violence. My great-grandmother, Kathleen Farrell, was one of twelve children, and her family was unable to support each child. The oldest five siblings left for America in hopes of finding a better life. On my father's side, our exact story is unknown due to my grandfather's solitary childhood. All we know is the we are in fact Irish.
      My paternal great-grandfather, Michael Tobin, was a first-generation Boxer in New York. Of his four kids, my grandfather was the second oldest. Before him was my great-uncle Michael. Michael was basically my grandpa's father figure, as his actual father wasn't around much. Michael would protect my grandpa from bullies, buy groceries, and do other parental chores that no twelve year old should be required to do.
      Tragically, Michael was hit by a milk truck while riding his bike to the grocery store, and passed away.
     The day I was born, my parents yearned to be original. My dad, his father's junior, was tempted to name me John Francis Tobin III, but he resisted. Instead, he kept the legacy going in his own way. The Gaelic for John is Sean, so why not use Irish roots in the naming of a child? Once the first name was decided, there was no question that I would be named after the tragic Michael Tobin, as well as my mother's uncle and World War II Veteran Michael Farrell, and, somewhat, my great-grandpa Michael Tobin Sr.
     Growing up, I came to meet many other Sean's: Sean Yerks, Sean Colligan, Sean O'Donnell, Sean Lavin, and many more. Friends and acquaintances of mine began to call me by my last name, Tobin, in order to avoid confusion. Through middle school, high school, and now college, I feel that I respond more to Tobin than I do my own first name. I don't mind, though. It makes me feel unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment