Wednesday, September 11, 2013

#College

     I have barely any insight into what the college life is supposed to be like. I am the oldest of three siblings from the Jersey Shore. I have only two older cousins, both of which attended community college. My dad was a commuter student, and my mom doesn't like to talk about her college experience much. (She had a little too much fun).
     This being said, I've just been thrown to the wolves. Of my fifty-some friends from high school, I managed to drag one with me to Fairfield: Mike Riordan. Other than Mike, I knew absolutely no one before orientation. Not a single person. I realize the same goes for majority of students here at Fairfield, but for some reason I can't help but feel like everyone already knows each other. It seems like cliques are already forming (the jocks, the would-be frat bros, the straight edge, etc.) and I can't help but feel like I'm stuck in a Bowling for Soup song.
     Don't get me wrong, I've got my own group of friends here. I wouldn't say we're a "clique," considering one kid wears gold chains, another wears salmon shorts, and another wears nothing but Under Armor. Each of us has his own personality. His own origin. I could be wrong, but I feel like that's the way college is supposed to be; branching out and getting to know different people, not forming duplicates of the people that we left back home. I loved high school, but it's over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment