Thursday, October 31, 2013

Technology History

     I have been involved with technology for nearly my entire life. I got my first Gameboy when I was seven, and spent hours playing Sonic the Hedgehog and other classic games in the bottom bunk of my creaky bunk bed. I was introduced to Instant Messaging when I was in fourth grade, and would chat with friends the second I walked through the door after a long day of elementary school. For my eleventh birthday, I was given my first cell phone. That same year, I got my first mp3 player for Christmas. Finally, that spring, I was introduced to Myspace.com, and everything went downhill.
     Myspace was the social network of 2007. I would add people as friends that I had only met once or twice, or people that my friends knew that I didn't personally. I uploaded "selfies" of my chubby, long-haired face and use them as my Profile Pictures, hoping to attract as many preteen girls as possible. However, I later discovered that all of these girls weren't on Myspace; they were on Facebook.
     I joined Facebook before any of my friends and hated it. You couldn't customize your profile, I had about ten friends, and my Grandma was one of them. A few months later, my friends began to join the club. We would use Facebook chat to contact each other, tag each other in pictures that we uploaded with our cel phones, and all sorts of other cool internet things. Facebook would change every six months, or so it seemed. By my junior year of high school, I was on to bigger and better things: Twitter.
     Twitter is still my favorite social network. The limit on characters makes it impossible for people to rant, privacy settings make it impossible for people I don't know or like to see my tweets, and hashtags make me feel witty. With my iPhone 5, I began tweeting, which led to instagramming, snapchatting, tumbling, and all other sorts of "hipster" social networks that can easily be downloaded to this handheld universe.
     Keeping in touch with my friends is a piece of cake thanks to social networks. With the touch of my finger, I can send a picture of myself saying "Miss you guys" to all my friends from home. Seeing my girlfriend is no longer impossible thanks to FaceTime, which I use every day. It's ridiculous to think that technology will continue to evolve. The fact that in a matter of ten years, I went from playing Sonic on a Gameboy to playing Candy Crush on an iPhone 5 is unfathomable. I'm almost scared to see what games my children will play.

1 comment: